It really can't be just a week until Thanksgiving, can it? A roundup of some Thanksgiving-related news that's crossed our desk:
* Reservations are filling up quickly at Veranda on Highland, where the Thanksgiving Day menu includes traditional favorites like turkey and dressing; New Orleans favorites like turtle soup, gumbo, and iron-seared gulf shrimp in an etoufee sauce served with grits; and some alternative Thanksgiving entrees such as Beef Bourguignon and grilled Norwegian salmon. Call 939-5551 for reservations.
* Grow Alabama's Farm Nouveau Catering Company is offering anything from one dish to a whole Thanksgiving meal, which can be picked up Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning at First Baptist Church of Birmingham. Choices include soups such as pumpkin or corn chowder; roasted or smoked turkey; smoked pork loin; smoked ham; two kinds of dressing; and a number of vegetable sides, from sweet potato casserole to creamed spinach with herbed goat cheese to several kinds of greens. And of course, desserts -- nine different ones -- and extras such as three kinds of gravy. More info: www.growalabama.com/cateringorder.shtml
* Satterfield's is offering Thanksgiving and Christmas Take Out, including several different roasted turkeys (the apple cider brined with Italian sausage stuffing sounds divine); sides such as sweet potato casserole, dressing, wild mushroom and parmeson bread pudding; 10 dessert selections and five bread offerings. More info here.
* Brock's will serve a Thanksgiving buffet in the Ross Bridge Ball Room featuring breakfast and lunch items that are signatures of Southern Living magazine as well as Ross Bridge. See the menu here.
* The Bright Star will be open from 10:30 to 5 p.m. and will serve a traditional Thanksgiving menu; view the menu at www.thebrightstar.com/thanksgiving.pdf
* The Wynfrey Hotel will serve a buffet from 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. There will be a carving station, a salad station, steamed Gulf shrimp, sides items and a dessert station, including Bananas Foster made to order. See the menu here.
* Sweet Bones Alabama is offering a Thanksgiving to Go menu, including smoked or Cajun fried whole turkey, smoked pork loin, and sides such as sweet potato casserole, jalapeno cheddar cornbread dressing, rosemary mashed potatoes and more. More info here.