Valentine's Day is just over two weeks away, and If you haven't already made reservations, you'd better pick up the phone.
Here are some restaurants advertising special Valentine menus:
- At Veranda on Highland, they will have a strolling violinist and are featuring a special prix fixe menu for $75 a person. You get your choice of Maine Lobster bisque, fried Alabama oysters, Valentine's salad or smoked duck and wild mushroom crepe for the first course; filet mignon, iron seared jumbo shrimp, honey and pecan glazed chicken, or jumbo lump crab cakes for the second course; and finish up with a dessert tasting for two with white chocolate bread pudding, key lime tartlet and praline cheesecake. Call 939-5551 for reservations.
- Satterfield's in Cahaba Heights is offering a three-course, prix fixe dinner on Valentine's Day for $70. Some of the more interesting choices include bacon-wrapped veal sweetbreads, lobster and cauliflower bisque, New Orleans style barbecue lobster and diver scallop, and whole roast rabbit "cassoulet." And on Friday, Feb. 13, a special five-course tasting menu is available for the entire table for $65 per person. You can view the menus at www.satterfieldsrestaurant.com.
- Standard Bistro in the Town of Mt. Laurel will offer a four-course tasting menu in addition to the regular menu, which changes daily. www.standardbistro.com
- Michael's Steaks & Seafood in Hoover will offer Valentine's specials in addition to the regular menu, including a filet mignon/fried oyster/grilled shrimp surf & turf, surf & turf for two feature steer butt and steamed king crab lets with lobster tails, seafood pasta, parmesan-crusted pan seared ahi tuna, and roasted duck. Call 982-0144.
- John's City Diner in Trussville and Downtown are offering special Valentine's day dishes including Oysters Rockefeller, butter-poached lobster tower, herb roasted whole snapper or two, littleneck clam pasta, and special desserts such as sweet tempura fritters and dark chocolate orange flourless torte. The specials will also be available on Friday Feb. 13. www.birminghammenus.com/johns/
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar at The Summit offers a "Winter Prix Fixe & Valentine's Weekend Menu" featuring the rustic flavors of Tuscany for $39.95. www.flemingssteakhouse.com